In my private sessions with clients and in workshops, people often come to me longing for more joy in their lives and yet, when we really dive in, they soon realize they’ve had some core BUT’s standing in their way. Almost everyone does. Numbers 1 and 3 were really big ones putting a lid on my own joy and became vital for me to transform!
I imagine the same is true for you: although a part of you longs for more joy, another part of you is probably holding onto one (or more) of these “yes…but’s…”
These may be messages you adopted from someone else (like your parents, spouse, or boss) and they may have given you some temporary benefit (like fitting in, playing it safe, being right, not rocking the boat, and having someone to blame), but, I assure you, they are only holding you back from your greatest Joy Potential.
It’s time to undo these false beliefs, and unleash your true joy!
The 14 most common “I would feel more joy but…” statements:
2. I would be joyful, but… “Joyful people are so fake. I don’t want to live in denial.”
3. I would be joyful, but… “There is so much suffering in the world.”
4. I would be joyful, but… “I have too many other things I have to get done first.”
5. I would be joyful, but… “My kids…” “My spouse…” “My boss…” “My health…”
(i.e. “My joy depends on other people or situations changing.”)
6. I would be joyful, but… “If something good is happening, it just means something bad is about to happen.”
7. I would be joyful, but… “I don’t want to set myself up for disappointment.”
8. I would be joyful, but… “I am not capable of it.”
9. I would be joyful, but… “I need to be serious for the work I do.”
10. I would be joyful, but… “Joy is selfish. It is holy and noble to suffer.”
11. I would be joyful, but… “I want ___________ to know how badly they hurt/disappointed/upset me.”
12. I would be joyful, but… “I don’t deserve it.”
13. I would be joyful, but… “It’s too scary. Being unhappy is much more familiar and comfortable.”
14. I would be joyful, but… “I need to prove how difficult life is.”
Remember: You deserve joy. You are capable of joy. And your joy is your greatest gift to everyone you touch!
If this was helpful for you and there is someone you know whose life this could serve, I’d be so grateful and delighted if you could share it and spread the love!