In my private sessions with clients and in workshops, people often come to me longing for more joy in their lives and yet, when we really dive in, they soon realize they’ve had some core BUT’s standing in their way. Almost everyone does. Numbers 1 and 3 were really big ones putting a lid on my own joy and became vital for me to transform!
I imagine the same is true for you: although a part of you longs for more joy, another part of you is probably holding onto one (or more) of these “yes…but’s…”
These may be messages you adopted from someone else (like your parents, spouse, or boss) and they may have given you some temporary benefit (like fitting in, playing it safe, being right, not rocking the boat, and having someone to blame), but, I assure you, they are only holding you back from your greatest Joy Potential.
It’s time to undo these false beliefs, and unleash your true joy!
The 14 most common “I would feel more joy but…” statements:
Gently and compassionately, notice which ones are true for you,
and then have fun rewriting a new joy-boosting belief into your life!
1. I would be joyful, but… “I will make people uncomfortable or feel badly.”
New Joy-Boosting Belief: Nearly everyone longs to be happy, and it’s time for the world to get more comfortable with joy!
2. I would be joyful, but… “Joyful people are so fake. I don’t want to live in denial.”
New Joy-Boosting Belief: I would be denying so many things to be grateful for if I only focus on the struggle.
3. I would be joyful, but… “There is so much suffering in the world.”
New Joy-Boosting Belief: Joy is contagious, and the best way I can help others feel joy is by modeling it myself.
4. I would be joyful, but… “I have too many other things I have to get done first.”
New Joy-Boosting Belief: When I am in a joyful state, I experience much greater ease and flow in everything I do.
5. I would be joyful, but… “My kids…” “My spouse…” “My boss…” “My health…”
(i.e. “My joy depends on other people or situations changing.”)
New Joy-Boosting Belief: I am responsible for my joy and fully commit to creating a joyful life, no matter what happens and what anyone else says or does.
6. I would be joyful, but… “If something good is happening, it just means something bad is about to happen.”
New Joy-Boosting Belief: Something good is happening, and I am so grateful, and I expand my capacity for just how great life can be.
7. I would be joyful, but… “I don’t want to set myself up for disappointment.”
New Joy-Boosting Belief: I celebrate and appreciate what is, and I trust whatever will be.
8. I would be joyful, but… “I am not capable of it.”
New Joy-Boosting Belief: Even if I’ve not experienced it, I open to the possibility that an abundance of joy is possible for me.
9. I would be joyful, but… “I need to be serious for the work I do.”
New Joy-Boosting Belief: Joy increases my productivity and effectiveness.
10. I would be joyful, but… “Joy is selfish. It is holy and noble to suffer.”
New Joy-Boosting Belief: The world is hungry for joy. My suffering perpetuates more suffering. My joy multiplies more joy.
11. I would be joyful, but… “I want ___________ to know how badly they hurt/disappointed/upset me.”
New Joy-Boosting Belief: I could either spend my precious life energy proving my unhappiness or experiencing my joy. When I am in my joy, I have no interest in the first. I choose joy.
12. I would be joyful, but… “I don’t deserve it.”
New Joy-Boosting Belief: I inherently deserve joy, for the greater good of all.
13. I would be joyful, but… “It’s too scary. Being unhappy is much more familiar and comfortable.”
New Joy-Boosting Belief: I can either stay unhappy where I am or step into joy. When I face my fears, they disappear, and joy reappears!
14. I would be joyful, but… “I need to prove how difficult life is.”
New Joy-Boosting Belief: I magnetically attract many more people I admire when I focus on proving how wonderful life is.
Remember: You deserve joy. You are capable of joy. And your joy is your greatest gift to everyone you touch!
If this was helpful for you and there is someone you know whose life this could serve, I’d be so grateful and delighted if you could share it and spread the love!
Have a fabulous day, and let your joy shine brightly!